Alright, so you are here because you are a fan of Jay-Z dreads and want to have the same. I got you, buddy.
Jay Z or you can also say Shawn Carter is a well-known rapper. He is one of the influential personalities when it comes to pop. Fans follow the rap star’s every move, from his songs to his dreads. I am one of them. Literally, I adore seeing black celebrities embrace the dreads culture. People do get inspired and love to know more.
Well, along with his title, and dress-ups, Jay-Z’s hairstyle has also evolved. In this post, I will cover every possible thing about Jay-Z’s dreads. What is the type? It’s evolution, and also how to get one.
Let’s unlock Jay-Z’s locs!
Take care Of Your Dreadlocks
Jamaican Mango & Lime"Island Oil
- Lubricates Scalp
- Nourishes Roots
- Strengthens Locks
- essential oils
- perfect for natural hair
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- JAMAICAN BLACK CASTOR OIL: Jamaican Black Castor Oil is known for its benefits related to providing moisture and supporting healthy hair growth and elasticity for all hair types and textures. This sulfate-free shampoo is color-safe and nourishing.
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: Apple cider vinegar helps lower the pH of the hair and scalp which can make hair smoother, easier to detangle, and reduce any scalp itchiness all while providing additional moisture.
- ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER AND PEPPERMINT: Organic Shea Butter deeply moisturizes while conditioning the hair and scalp. Peppermint can help improve hair growth and may prevent hair loss. It also stimulates the scalp for an invigorating experience.
- STRENGTHEN AND RESTORE: If you are noticing hair breakage or shedding, Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo can help fortify the scalp and strengthen hair while promoting natural hair growth.
- ABOUT US: We do not test on animals. Our products include certified organic and fair-trade ingredients without parabens, phthalates, mineral oil or sulfates. Our packaging contains a minimum of 25% post-consumer resin.
Lion Locs Hair Loc Growth Oil
- INCREASES HAIR LOC GROWTH: Made with all natural ingredients, this specific blend of carrier and essential oils penetrates into your hair and scalp with the proper nutrient benefits for enhanced dreadlocks growth.
- MOISTURIZING LOCK STYLING OIL: Perfect lightweight oil for loc styles. Replenish your locks and curls, prevents further breakage and make hair healthier and shinier.
- FOR ALL LOC and HAIR TYPES: Specifically made to help with any hairstyle or type. Whether microlocs, interlocks, dreadlocks, braidlocks, braids, faux locs, crochet locs, boho locs, twistlocks, or sisterlocks, this product will work for you.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & HEALTHY: Unlike heavy oils, hair loc growth moisturizer has multiple purposes. Prevents dreads from damaging and drying out, stimulates your scalp for faster growth, and great for styling.
- ORGANIC: Made using handpicked natural ingredients imported directed from India to ensure a premium, high quality oil. These loc products for hair are free of harmful sulfate and other hard to pronounce chemical ingredients.
African Pride Black Castor Miracle
- PROVEN HAIR CARE - African Pride Black Castor Miracle Extra Hold Braid, Loc, & Twist Gel smooths frizz & flyaways while boosting shine for longer lasting styles. This professional product leaves braids, locs & twists neat & controlled.
- FEATURED INGREDIENTS - Enriched with Black Castor Oil: Nourishes scalp and helps to promote hair growth; Coconut Oil: Deeply conditions, hydrates and helps repair.
- NATURALLY FORMULATED - The ingredients within African Pride products are free of harmful components, including parabens, mineral oil, sulfates, & petrolatum. By utilizing natural ingredients, we are able to provide high quality, safe products.
- HOW TO USE - Use on damp or dry hair. Apply a small amount of gel to hair roots or hairline. Braid, twist, and style as desired. Air dry or sit under a hooded dryer to set style.
- ABOUT THE BRAND - African Pride Black Castor Miracle products are designed to maintain & detangle natural hair while moisturizing, hydrating, & combating frizz. From protecting to sealing hair, our products were crafted with you in mind.
Alikay Naturals Nat Unique Loc Oil
- Contains natural and organic ingredients
- Combination of essential oils hempseed oil
- Yang ylang and vitamin E
Dollylocks Professional Organic Tightening Spray
- TIGHTHENS & STRENGTHENS HAIR: It’s time to tame and tighten those dreadlocks with our tightening loc spray. Our hair spray for dreadlocks will help tighten and strengthen your locks, allowing you to tame the volume. The non-sticky formula leaves a clear finish and leaves no residue or buildup behind. Simply shake it up, spray it on before styling, and watch your new look come to life!
- NO FRIZZY DREADLOCKS: A unique blend of moisture balancing and soothing ingredients makes this "all in one" dreadlock tightening spray a must-have! Our dreadlock spray is the perfect solution to tame frizzy dreadlocks. Our formula adds shine, manageability, and hydration while leaving your locks tangle-free and frizz-free. It's also formulated without sulfates or parabens, making it gentle enough for all hair types.
- ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Our dreadlock tightening spray is specially formulated to help you have a healthier, stronger loc. With coconut water and aloe vera, our loc spray will help nourish your scalp and prevent dryness, itching, and flaking by penetrating deep into the hair shaft. Hawaiian Sea Salt helps improve scalp health and texture, giving you healthy and tighter dreadlocks without making them look stringy, flat, or stiff.
- SCENTED SPRAY FOR YOUR LOCS: Our hair tightening spray is a must-have if you have dreadlocks. It not only tightens your dreadlocks and makes them look presentable but also has the best smell ever. You may find yourself smelling your hair all the time just to get that fresh scent! We have a variety of scents to choose from, including Nag Champa, Coconut Lime, Vanilla Twist, Fresh, and Patchouli Fields.
- ABOUT DOLLYLOCKS: We take pride in the quality of our products, relationships with our customers, and making a positive global impact. Dollylocks products are handcrafted in small batches with love and the highest quality raw ingredients. Dollylocks makes quality dreadlock hair products designed for various hair types and textures.
Dollylocks 4oz Vanilla Twist Dreadlock Conditioning Oil
- Recommended for mature dreadlocks
- Revitalize, repair and maintain a healthy scalp and dreadlocks
- Non-greasy and non-comedogenic – won’t clog pores
- Contains organic oils and plant extracts
- High-quality, phthalate-free fragrance
Knatty Dread Scalp Oil for Dreadlocks
NOW Solutions, Organic Jojoba Oill
- 100% pure, multi-purpose certified organic body oil: Certified organic jojoba oil is derived from the seed of the jojoba shrub and is one of the most popular cosmetic oils available today. (Expeller pressed, hexane free, paraben free, vegan)
- For skin, hair, and body/Non-GMO project verified: Its high stability, invigorating scent, and cosmetic versatility make it ideal for all skin and hair types, and it is most commonly used to promote softer hair and skin.
- Now solutions is the next step in the evolution of personal care products, formulated with the finest functional ingredients from around the world.
- GMP quality assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the now manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
- During the summer months products may arrive warm, but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers' recommendations, when provided.
SNO Dreadlock Oil Spray
- Leaves locks with a shine, healthy, stronger looking, and softer to the touch.
- Natural Oil Spray promotes hair growth
- Seals in shine and penetrates locks
- Smooths and repairs split ends
- Natural dreadlock product that smells great!
Argan Oil Treatment by Creme of Nature
- Helps repair dry, damaged hair
- Strengthens and prevents breakage
- Infused with Argan Oil from Morocco
- Easy application to wet hair
Dr. Miracle's Feel It Formula
- PROVEN HAIR CARE - Dr Miracle's Feel It Formula, Strengthen Daily Moisturizing Gro Oil soothes & treats the scalp and promotes healthy hair growth. Provides hydration and moisture for hair, especially dry brittle ends. Great for Hot Oil Treatments! - lightweight oil that nourishes, hydrates and soothes the scalp. Formulated to support stronger, healthier, more beautiful hair.
- FEATURED INGREDIENTS - Massage into scalp & ends of hair daily as part of the Dr. Miracle's Healthy Hair Growth Regimen. Jojoba Oil works to improve moisture retention & add softness to your natural hair. By helping to replenish hair, this ingredient works to hydrate & nourish dry hair. Vitamin A helps to restore lost luster & shine as well as minimize split ends. This essential ingredient is the foundation for replenishing lost nutrition to hair.
- ESTABLISHED FORMULA - The special Thermalceutical Complex and "Feel It" formula of this balm make it an excellent choice for relaxed, natural, braided, or weaved hair with delicate temple and nape areas.
- HOW TO USE - Massage into scalp and ends of hair daily as part of the Dr. Miracle's Healthy Hair Growth Regimen on wash day or in-between wash days. For maximum hydration use on damp or wet hair. Safe for use on dry hair.
- ABOUT THE BRAND - Healthy hair starts with Dr. Miracle’s. Our nourishing products combat dryness, shedding and breakage to support healthy hair and a thriving scalp. Whether you prefer wearing your natural hair out, or in protective styles, we give you the tools to prevent damage and aid in length retention. Formulated to hydrate, nourish and detangle, Dr. Miracle’s has everything you need for stronger, healthier, more beautiful hair.
Jay-Z’s Hair And Dreads Type
If you have seen J Cole’s dreads, you may know that Jay Z’’s dreads are also freeform. As he has free-form dreads, he does little to no maintenance to achieve his dreadlocks. This style develops when the hair grows in random directions, and the dreads stay thick and distinctive even without combing or shaping. Because there is no maintenance procedure or root splitting system, the dreads form naturally.
Freeform dreads will always have a distinct style and this thing sprinkles more inspiration to Jay Z’s dreadlocks, right?
Jay-Z stated in an interview with WKYS radio station that he is following his previous practice of growing out his hair while writing his new album, but for this record, he opted to grow freeform dreads rather than his typical afro.
If I talk about his hair type, it’s so obvious, you can easily tell his hair type is 4B just by looking at it. Moreover, a closer inspection of Jay’s hair reveals that he has 10 to 20 thick dreadlocks running over his head. He mostly wears headbands, which pulls his dreads upwards and adds to the personality of his dreads, cool hun?
I also noticed, congos are also forming in his dreads, which always lend a stylish touch to any dread look.
Evolution of Jay-Z’s Dreads
From the research that I did, in the earliest picture, I can find him growing his hair out. From press appearances to on-stage performances, his hair journey has been recorded in the media.
You can see this picture here below. This is 2018 as you can see he has started growing his hair out.
I know he was starting his journey of what would be known as freeform locs or freeform dreads so this is kind of the earliest photo of him starting his journey. Nice, thick and healthy hair, you see? His short, dense afro provided the framework for his dreads to emerge.
In 2019 his hair starts getting longer as you can see the dreads are starting. He was spotted with grown hair and semi-formed dreads during the “SOMETHING IN THE WATER” event in April 2019. You can see his signature headband look.
His hair is thick and you can’t see the scalp. There is no evidence of him maintaining whatsoever at this point.
I’m going to assume he’s having free form but I can also get that, at some point during his journey, between 2018 in the early early days of 2019 he might have helped his hair alone by either using a hair sponge or maybe a washcloth. But, I only suspect he probably did that a couple of times and then just let his hair grow.
As you can see the dreads on top of his head are still in the baby phase but you are starting to see a little separation. They are starting to get a little long. look at that very healthy set of locks. If you look at his locs, there is no evidence of him separating or running his fingers through it or pulling it apart so he’s definitely going to have some Congos as his hair gets longer.
Let’s do a little update on him in 2020. I mean, wow look at that look… how long it has gotten!
I don’t really see any separation. It’s starting to come over his ears. Just a little evidence of frizziness but not too much. They are getting longer, and more mature, and at this point, I can see that he is in the teenage phase of his dreadlock journey. Still very young, still with nice big healthy hair, and still can’t see any scalp part.
He got a lot of new growth at this point in his journey of 2020.
Now, you can see how different Jay-Z’s dreads are looking in 2021. I can clearly see a side separation. They are long and thick. They are almost touching his shoulders. You can noticeably see thick congos. I really like it! They are truly organic!
I think they are pointing in an upward direction as he frequently wears headbands which are making them stand.
How To Get Dreads Like Jay Z?
If you are desperate about getting dreads like Jay Z, read this session carefully.
Products You Will Be Needing
WOW Skin Science Moroccan Argan Oil Hair Conditioner
- Enhanced gloss & shine - WOW Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner contains quality argan oil for a healthy restorative hair process for dull, dry, frizzy hair. Suitable for straight, curly, and wavy hair types
- Slow down hair loss - DHT blocker that minimizes hair loss and stimulate hair growth. DHT blockers are known to control hair from falling out and encouraging hair growth. Saw palmetto extract vitamins protect against hair fall & balding
- Maximize hair shine - Improve your hair cleansing routine with our color protecting conditioner to get the best results possible. You'll reduce dandruff, flakes, and frizz while enhancing shine and gloss to your hair. Get the best hair nourishment available
- Moisturizing - Excellent sulfate-free conditioner to moisturize dry hair to feel soft without having the greasy feeling. Color-safe process for fine, thin hair that are sensitive to stronger shampoos. Get the full potential of benefits of moroccan argan oil
- Beneficial ingredients - WOW Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner is free from sulfates, parabens, and silicones that can damage your scalp and increase the chance of hair loss. Rich in vitamins that helps restore hair strength and health for long-lasting results
3Pcs Magic Twist Hair Sponges
- Ultimate Combo: Here brings to all hair sponge fans is the combination metal pick with these 3 different magic hair sponges, which is the best choice you had to try.
- Travel Ready: Durable magic hair sponge is also convenient for both business and travel.
- Functional: Use these sponges for hair in a twist styling, these magic hair sponges will allow you to try different hairstyles like twist and curled hair.
- Skin-friendly Material: These three curl sponges do no harm to hair and scalp. Moreover, modified technology has been operated on these hair sponge for twists and dreads, with higher abrasion and moisture resistance.
- What You Get: 3* Magic Hair Twist Sponges, 1* Metal Hair Pick, our worry-free 30-day warranty and friendly customer service.
You can get it from the convenience of your own place if you use the right approach and equipment. Let me explain to you everything you’ll require. Make a note!
1. A Good Hair Moisturizer
You can buy moisturizer oils or a moisturizer with argan or coconut oil. Argan oil’s radicals repair the damage. It also leaves a slight residue, which maintains the dreads glossy and smooth.
On the other hand, coconut oil penetrates the dreads. It contains a variety of nutrients that help to prevent broken ends and splitting.
2. Hair Sponge For Dreads
The hair sponge is a product with structural holes and grooves that will give your genuine hair the perfect coils or spins while dreading.
Steps To Follow
Carefully follow the steps below and you will get Jay Z like dreads on your fingertips.
1. Wash Your Hair With No Conditioner
start with freshly cleansed and clean hair. Use a high-quality nourishing shampoo that leaves no residue. Use no conditioner; conditioners are intended to keep hair from tangling, which is the exact reverse of our goal. If your hair demands it, moisturizing oil is fine!
After that, you should totally dry your hair. Start by putting your hair in a cotton towel to absorb excess water. If you’re using a hairdryer, transfer it between sections of your hair regularly to avoid accidentally baking your hair.
2. It’s Time To Twist
So many people are willing to wait years or even months for their freeform dreads to appear, whereas others aren’t. There is a way to quicken things. It requires using a hair sponge to massage the hair.
The twisting goes here. Do the twisting direction (clockwise or anti-clockwise) that is most suitable for you while twisting the hair. Maintaining the original direction is important to a proper twisting since changing directions in the middle would lead to tangled dreads.
3. Wear A Headband Most Of The Time
Wear a headband frequently and most of the time on your front hairline. In this way, you will get that slightly flattened look that Jay Z has from the front. Also, it will lead your dreads upward.
4. Separate Your Roots
Jay’s hair journey proves this. While his hair began as an afro, he proceeded to coil it as it thickened in portions that developed into one loc. You can also call it as congo.
This would then serve as the basis for his locs to emerge.
You must manage your parting process and guarantee that your locs do not merge together when semi-free forming.
How To Maintain Jay Z Like Dreads?
Reduce styling and alterations to promote healthy dread development. This also helps to avoid bald patches. The excessive style would actually impede the growth process, causing the hair to flatten.
Wash and condition your hair once or twice a week with a gentle, sulfate-free product, then allow your locs to air-dry or sit under a hooded dryer.
Additionally, do loc wrapping and basing. These are modest grooming techniques that must occasionally be added to your dreadlock regimen. They help to speed up the locking process while also keeping the locks healthy and strong, reducing the possibility of them breaking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What kind of dreads does Jay Z have?
Jay Z has free-form dreads with congo. He has locked multiple locs into one big loc.It may not require much upkeep, but he had to initially grow his afro hair a little longer.
What made Jay Z grow his hair?
Jay explained the question on New York’s Hot 97 today, saying his growing ‘do is simply a byproduct of his recording an album. “I usually don’t cut my hair when I’m doing songs,” he says.
When did Jay Z start his dreads?
Jay was still in the early stages of his natural hair adventure in 2017 when he ditched his short haircut and began growing out his locs.
What are congo dreadlocks?
A Congo is a phrase used to describe when two or more dreadlocks combine into one. Congos are frequently the product of the method of neglect. Dreadlock roots develop into one another and combine into one dreadlock.
Now, It’s Your Turn!
He has thick and strong dreadlocks, as said before. All that is necessary is time, commitment, and the right hair type. To create the Jay Z dreads style, let your hair grow 5 to 6 inches long. Your dread will grow if you just use a few things in your hair. Cleaning and moisturizing your freeform locs with natural oils can keep your dreadlocks clean. Use a shampoo that does not leave any residue. And after all, patience is the key here. So, what do you say? Are you going to try the above process?
Read Related Articles: