Three-strand twists are a spin on the original 2 strands’ twist-out style that gives you tight curls, less frizz, and more definition. Of course, 3 strand twists take more time than 2-strand twists, but they’re more defined.
Rather than using two strands, you wrap your hair around each other in a spiral pattern of three strands.
3 strand twists are a great alternative to a 2 strand twist for a few reasons.
- You have less frizz
- It gives you tighter curls
- It helps to lengthen your hair.
- There are fewer sections to complete!
- Your hair is more defined in comparison to a two-strand twist.
The Ultimate How-to Guide to the 3 Strand Twist for Men
What you’ll need:
- A spray bottle with water Hair oil or olive oil
- Big tooth comb
- Shea butter
- Hair Gel
- Hair clips
- Spray your hair until damp
- Divide the hair into four or more big sections. This will help you
- Take one section of the hair and moisturise it with hair oil or olive oil. Use just a little of the oil to prevent residue build-ups. Apply some shea butter after that.
- Using the wide-tooth comb, comb the section evenly. Depending on how big you want the 3 strand twist, take a section of hair and divide it into three equal parts.
- Use the hair clip to hold one or two sections of hair in place, so you can work on one strand at a time.
- Apply a little gel to the section you want to 3 strand twist. Part into three equal sections.
- Naming the strands A, B, and C, twist A around B and C, then twist B around A and C. Again, twist C around B&A. Repeat until the three strands twist the whole hair section to the bottom. Use some gel to hold the bottom together as you twist that section. You can also use your finger to coil the end.
- Repeat the same technique on all the hair sections for a 3-strand twist.
Watch KaeDaGreat demonstrate how to do three-strand twists in this YouTube video.
30 Three-Strand Twist Hairstyles for Men
1. Jumbo 3 Strand Twist in Pony
If you have medium-to-large dreadlocks, you can style them in a jumbo 3-strand twist after retwisting.
2. Small 3-strand twist
For short dreads or natural hair, you can also style them in a 3-strand twist. As you can see, they’re neat, clean, and long-lasting.
3. Bob 3 Strand Twist
You can style your natural hair in a 3-strand twist if your hair is neither long nor short. And especially if the parting is big enough, you don’t have to worry about pain.
4. Dark Blonde Colored 3 Strand Twist
A little colour isn’t bad at all. It adds warmth, creativity, and life to your hair. Own it!
5. Medium 3 Strand Twist
You can achieve this medium hairstyle with long dreads, thanks to 3 strand twists. It creates a less frizzy but neat and flexible style.
6. 3 Strand Twist on Trimmed Hair
Whether you have super short natural hair or dreads, you’re not left out of options to style in a 3 strand twist. Ideal for men and young men.
7. 3 Strand Twist in Bundles
If you’re looking for something different from just 3 strands twisting your dreads, bundle them up like a mini ponytail. You’ve got this!
8. 3 Strand Twist Pop Smoke Barrels
And you can do smoke barrels with twists no matter how long or short your hair is. For this hairstyle, it’s comforting as you don’t have to worry about the hair shadowing your face or vision.
9. Crisscross Twist Pony
For trimmed hair with only dreads or hair at the upper head, you can style in 3 strand twist too. Add a color like blonde to add esthetic.
10. Long 3 Strand Twist
3 strand twist is even more beautiful on long hair. Use an invisible rubber band to secure the ends.
11. Peekaboo 3 Strand Twist
Dying the lower inner part of your hair is the new trend now. Whether you dye your natural hair or use extensions, the style gives room for flexibility and uniqueness. That’s all peekaboo is all about.
12. Long Black 3 strand Twist
If you have a super sensitive scalp, you don’t have to worry about wearing this style, as it’s favourable for soft and curly hair too.
13. Half Dyed Twist
Take your hairstyle one step ahead with dye. If you want to explore colours, why not dye half or almost all the hair? Look at that dye!
14. Purple Twist
Of course, you can experiment with purple dye on your dreads.
15. Half Dyed 3 Strand Twist
If you don’t like too much colour, you can apply dye to one to two inches to make a statement.
16. Twist with Rubber Bands
3 strand twists are firm but can lose at the ends, especially if the hair or locs are short. Use a rubber band to hold them together.
17. Short 3 Strand Twist with Dye
Sometimes, all you need is a tip-toe dye at the bottom of your hair.
18. 3 Strand Twist in Low Pony
If you have a formal event to attend and are wondering how to style your hair, 3-strand twist, then hold a low pony. This style gives off gentlemanly vibes.
19. Half Hair Shaved Twist Dreads
You don’t have to wear dreads on your head; wearing them on top along with trimmed edges is enough.
20. Half Trimmed 3 Strand Twist
And there are the dreadlocks, where you have full dreads but have trimmed the edges to give your hair some shape. Style it in a 3-strand twist to make an even bolder statement.
21. Crisscross Twist
You don’t have to start the twist from the roots. Crisscross the hair from the scalp, then twist the rest. It’s unique, classic, and gentlemanly.
22. Long 3 Strand Twist with Dye
A twist in one colour can be boring sometimes. Give it life by adding colours. You don’t have to dye the whole hair!
23. Double Strand Twist
After three strands of twisting the hair, you can go ahead and twist two more to make it jumbo if you desire.
24. Blonde Twist
Why have a little when you can have it all? Go blonde with your twist if that’ll make you happy!
25. Twist and Barrels
You can have a twist at the front and barrel the rest of the hair.
26. Twist in Braids
How about braiding the twist to create a new look that stands out from the crowd? Box braid your hair after twisting it into three strands.
27. Twist Cornrow
A twist cornrow holds the hair firm and secure on the scalp. You can achieve this by twisting the locs closer to the scalp downward.
28. Twist Back Wrap
Instead of holding a low ponytail, just wrap the hair loosely. If you have a sensitive scalp, this hairstyle will do.
29. Cornrow 3 Strand Twist
For older folks who want to keep their dreads at bay, cornrow twisting is the way to go when you have long hair.
30. Twist in Two Low Ponytails
Holding two jumbo barrels with long, big dreads can be a lot of work. When you get the nape of your neck, twist the locs to create 3 strands.
31. Short Jumbo Dyed Twist
It doesn’t hurt to add a little red dye to your hair. It may out of the ordinary, but it’s unique.
There you have it. Which style are you gonna wear?
Before you go…
Finding the right hairstyle is just the first step. Even the world’s best 3-strand twist will fail if you don’t know how to maintain it! Read my next article to ensure that your stylish look never falters again.