Black people get “ashen” due to climatic conditions, constant usage of harsh beauty soaps or skin treatments, and prolonged hot showers. In some cases, bad eating habits can also cause ashen skin. Although anyone can have ashen skin regardless of skin color, race, or ethnicity.
However, It is called “ashy” because of the way it looks on black people. As you read through this article you will discover a list of causes and how to cure ashy skin in blacks.
What are the Causes of Dry Skin in the Blacks
To cure or prevent future occurrences of ashen skin, it is essential to know its cause. So here are the possible reasons why blacks are prone to ashen skin.
1. Low production of natural oil
Ashen skin surfaces when the skin lacks sufficient amounts of natural oil to keep it hydrated and moisturized. Sadly, Blacks happen to be more prone to ashen skin for some reasons such as;
- Genetics: While there may be several factors why other skin colours experience ashen skin, that of blacks often comes as a genetic package. Skin textures are naturally passed down to children which makes ashen common among blacks.
- Environmental Factors: Another major factor that brings about ashen skin amongst black are environmental conditions. People who live in desert areas have a greater possibility of experiencing skin dryness. And it’s no news that African regions can experience dry and harsh climates during certain seasons.
2. Skin Disorder
Ashen skin could also be skincare as a result of skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Eczema: The eczema epidermis holds up water at the top layer, which prevents your skin from absorbing sufficient water to keep it hydrated. By implication, your skin tends to get dry, and this kind of dryness causes eczema and an outbreak of skin diseases.
- Psoriasis: The Psoriasis skin epidermis comes from excess skin that grows on the top layer of your skin (dermis) due to abnormal cells. Those experiencing this often see symptoms like dry, red, itchy, or scalp skin.
3. Unhealthy Habits
You might have heard that taking foods like paw paw and honey helps to give you smooth skin since they both contain anti-inflammatory agents. This implies that your habits, even in the aspect of your diet, influence the healthiness of your skin.
Here are a few unhealthy habits that bring dry skin
- Long Hours of Hot Showers and Baths: Having a prolonged hot bath is harmful to the skin. That is because it kills the natural oil in the skin and makes it susceptible to dryness and flakiness.
- Harsh Soaps and Detergents: Several soaps and shampoos formulated with certain chemicals such as synthetic fragrances also reduce natural oil production in your skin. Using such soap or detergent to wash your body exposes the skin to dryness.
How to Prevent Dry Skin
To prevent ashen skin to the best of your ability, you will need to take cognizance of the different climate conditions within your region. Using the same beauty or skincare routine all year round may prove ineffective when it comes to combating ashen or dry skin.
But then the following tips can help you maintain hydrated skin regardless of climate conditions
1. Keep the Skin Moisturized
To prevent ascending, as well as maintain hydrated skin you would have to subscribe to moisturizing products. However, not just any moisturizer will do, you’ll need to get one that contains exfoliating agents and also binds the skin together. Here’s more
- Choose the Right Moisturizer: Use recommended moisturizers containing exfoliating agents like keratolytic. Other moisturizing agents, such as jojoba oil, coconut oil, and shea butter, are great for boosting skin oil production.
- Apply Moisturizer Correctly: When you purchase a moisturizer, be sure to follow the instructions on the label to use moisturizer correctly. This will enable you to achieve your desired result within a relatively shorter period.
2. Avoid Harsh Bath
Your bathing style also influences your skin’s health. To prevent ashen skin, you’ll need to;
- Avoid Harsh Soaps and Detergents: As mentioned earlier, certain beauty soaps reduce the natural oil production in your skin. So, you might want to visit a dermatologist when in search of the best beauty soap to use.
- Take Shorter, Cooler Showers, and Baths: Hot and prolonged baths affect the skin’s pH and hamper the regulation of natural oil in your skin. Therefore, ensure to often have a cold shower except during winter.
3. Use Supplement
Try the following treatment option to repair your skin:
- Over-the-counter Creams and Lotions: Some over-the-counter (OTC) products have been gaining stands for skin care treatment. Medications formulated with collagen are great for resuscitating and reviving the skin’s pH.
- Prescription Medications: Skincare medications prescribed by a good dermatologist after the due examination has been done, would also offer rapid results for both prevention and cure of ashen skin.
- Home Remedies: Home remedies are also very effective if consistent treatments are followed through. You could use natural soap to exfoliate regularly while using shea butter, coconut oil, or jojoba oil as your body cream.
The Importance of Skin Health
Your skin is an aspect of your body that interfaces directly with the weather condition of your environment. Be it in a well-conditioned and conducive environment or a harsh unfriendly environment.
The state of your skin can either support your general health or worsen it. Healthy skin stands as a support in times of unfavorable weather conditions. On the other hand, sickly skin will rather make it easy for climate changes to affect your general health.
Also healthy, and beautiful skin gives you public confidence when it comes to bodily looks and makes you stand out everywhere. Here are a few more reasons why you should follow up on a healthy skin routine:
Why Maintain a Healthy Skin?
Maintaining healthy skin helps the body fight against the UV rays produced by the sun. It also keeps your skin in the right state to produce vitamin D which surprisingly comes from the Sun as well. Here are a couple of its benefits alongside its skin benefits;
- Vitamin D is an immune booster that attacks certain cancer cell walls.
- Vitamin D aids in weight loss for fatty people.
- It helps improve mood and lower blood pressure.
- It also lessens the attack of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Social Stigma Against Ashy Skin within Black Community
In most communities, people are differentiated by their skin color. Although this is usually prominent in white communities, sadly, it is found amongst blacks particularly when there are cases of ashen skin. Some Blacks consider fellow Blacks with ashen skin to be careless with their skincare, and so they tend to be unapologetic in their discrimination.
The skin is a vital organ of the body since it stands as a middleman between our internal organs and our environment. Although ashen can be seen amongst people of other colours, however, that of blacks tends to be more pronounced.
The dryness and flaky state of the epidemics often makes it discomforting to the house. But then, the good news is that it can be cured and also prevented. Avoiding harsh baths, using the right moisturizer, and maintaining healthy habits can help you prevent ashen.
You can also visit a dermatologist to examine, and prescribe you the right medication, or OTC to use in treating yourself if you happen to have encountered the epidemic.
Be sure to exfoliate regularly and use a good moisturizer to repair your skin. For an enhanced look, use pills and creams formulated with collagen.